Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutor appeals against ‘lenient sentence’ for abuse of three-year-old



Prosecutor appeals against ‘lenient sentence’ for abuse of three-year-old

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Appeal Court. Post Pix

Prosecutor appeals against ‘lenient sentence’ for abuse of three-year-old

The Appeal Court on Tuesday heard the case of a man convicted last year of sexual harassment against his three-year-old niece after the Kampong Speu provincial court prosecutor complained that the court’s decision to downgrade the charge from rape and only impose a three-year jail sentence was too lenient.

In front of the convict at the courtroom, Judge Pol Samoeun read a statement saying that sometime between April 19 and 24 last year, In Soreach, 24, went to meet the victim while she was playing.

The statement said Soreach grabbed his niece, took a branch from a tree and inserted it roughly into her genital area.

The girl then told her mother about the incident and her mother filed a lawsuit with the commune police chief. Soon after that, the accused was detained by the police, the judge said.

Shortly afterwards, the mother took her daughter to the provincial hospital for a check-up and the results revealed that her genital area had sustained lacerations.

The provincial court charged Soreach with raping an underage girl but, when the court announced its verdict late last year, it convicted him of a lesser charge of sexual harassment.

Soreach was sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to pay four million riel ($1,000) in compensation because the court said there was no clear evidence to say how the victim had sustained her injuries.

The provincial court prosecutor then lodged an appeal saying the sentence was too lenient for the crime that had been committed.

However, he said on Tuesday that he could not remember the case clearly because it occurred a long time ago and he handled a lot of cases.

During Tuesday’s hearing, Soreach confirmed to the judge that he was the girl’s uncle but said he had not committed the crime because on that day he had gone to play snooker nearby.

“I ask the court to release me because I have two small children. No one makes a living to look after them,” Soreach said.

However, the prosecutor, Kim Keo Kalyann, concluded by saying that she had reviewed all the statements and listened to Soreach’s testimony and that of the victim.

Taken together, Keo Kalyann said, and despite Soreach’s denials, she was satisfied that he had indeed inserted the branch into the victim’s genitals.

“Normally, when a girl is only three years old, she would not fabricate a story like this. So it is clear that there was a sexual assault.

“I would like to ask the chamber to refuse the verdict handed down by the Kampong Speu Provincial Court,” she said.

The victim’s lawyer, who asked not to be named, also concluded at the courtroom by saying that Soreach had indeed committed the assault because it was detailed in the police record and the victim’s testimony.

“I would like to support the conclusion made by the prosecutor because the case affects the security of our society, especially when the victim is a minor,” he said.

Soreach’s lawyer, Chuon Sethsamphors, concluded by claiming that the charge against his client was without foundation as there was no evidence and no witnesses saw Soreach assault the girl.

“I would like to ask the court to set him free,” he said.

Judge Samoeun said a verdict would be announced on August 13.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and