STATE prosecutor Mey Sokhorn promised Sunday to investigate the alleged kidnapping of a Ratanakkiri teenager who claims she was confined on her abductor's farm for two months, denying media reports that he was ignoring the case.
He acknowledged that he had received the complaint from the 17-year-old girl's parents last week, but that a large backlog was keeping him from immediately dealing with it.
"I received a complaint from her parents on August 18, but I have many cases, and I will take action to solve this case soon," Mey Sokhorn said.
The alleged victim, Klan Chhoeu, said she was kidnapped in June by a man posing as a mototaxi driver and held hostage on his farm until she managed to escape to a nearby hospital on August 14.
Klan Chhoeu's father, Sol Njong, said he has filed complaints detailing the confinement and attempted rape of his daughter by the manager of the farm and Keo Bun Sorn, the local policeman who owns the land.
Keo Bun Sorn said he was not aware of the girl's presence on the land. "I don't know anything about a minority girl who worked on the farmland because I only visit every three months," he told the Post.
But Klan Chhoeu said she met Keo Bun Sorn twice. "He asked me who I was and where I came from," she said.
Kea Chhay, a lawyer for the Mohanokor law group, said that the accusations were serious. "Anyone confining a person for more than a month will be imprisoned from 15 to 20 years according to the criminal law," he said.