Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutors see import of cables

Prosecutors see import of cables

Prosecutors see import of cables

Prosecutors at the Khmer Rouge tribunal requested yesterday that 26 declassified US State Department cables be added to the case file, arguing that the decades-old missives detailing the lead-up to Phnom Penh’s fall shed unique light on the policy of evacuation at the heart of Case 002.

The cables, the prosecution argues in its filing, not only support evidence that co-accused Khieu Samphan attended high-level meetings of the Communist Party of Kampuchea’s (CPK) Central Committee, but also contradict prior Khmer Rouge claims that the evacuation of Phnom Penh was carried out in the interest of the safety and well-being of its citizens.

One cable quoted in the filing tells of six refugee children being “brutally executed by knife and bayonet”. Another describes the Khmer Rouge forces “ignoring [government troops’] defensive positions and ‘concentrat[ing] their attacks on villages, directing their fire at villagers rather than soldiers’”.

Quoting a memo on the fight for Kampong Cham town, the filing says that the Khmer Rouge “fired rockets and artillery shells point-blank into houses, so as to force out the residents hiding inside”.

The defence, particularly the defence team for Nuon Chea, has long argued that the evacuation of Phnom Penh was necessary to alleviate the dire situation and severe food shortages in the overcrowded capital.

However, the prosecution asserts, the new cables “assist in proving the purpose of CPK attacks on cities and towns, and refute the Defence position that the CPK had humanitarian goals or intentions in regards to the civilian and refugee population of Phnom Penh”.

Though originally declassified in 2005, the 1.7 million cables were only released in a searchable format earlier this month by the anti-secrecy organisation Wikileaks.

The prosecution says that fact makes the cables admissible, despite an internal rule requiring that “the requested testimony or evidence was not available before the opening of the trial”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked