Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutors submit outline for Case 002

Prosecutors submit outline for Case 002

Prosecutors submit outline for Case 002

Prosecutor's at the Khmer Rouge tribunal have set forth a rough outline for proceedings in the court’s looming second trial, which some say will be among the most complex international war crimes cases ever tried.

In a submission to the court’s Trial Chamber dated Friday, the prosecutors suggested that the trial proceed in semi-chronological fashion, beginning with events including the evacuation of Phnom Penh and the execution of Khmer Republic officials that took place around April 1975.

The proceedings could then move to an examination of regime policies and hierarchy before finally looking at the specific crime sites and events listed in last year’s indictment, the prosecutors wrote.

Also in the Friday submission, the prosecutors offered lists of witnesses, civil parties and expert commentators that they requested be summoned to appear at the trial, which is expected to begin within the next six months.

While the identities of those on the lists remain confidential, prosecutors have asked that 16 experts, 247 witnesses and 32 civil parties be summoned for testimony.

“The testimony of at least these individuals will be central to the Co-Prosecutors’ ability to prove the vast matrix of crimes and modes of individual criminal responsibility alleged in the indictment,” the prosecutors wrote.

International co-prosecutor Andrew Cayley has said he expects the Case 002 trial to take at least two years.

During the tribunal’s first trial – that of former Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, alias  Duch – the court heard from nine experts, 17 fact witnesses, seven character witnesses and 22 civil parties over roughly six months of hearings. Duch was found guilty of crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions in July, and his appeal is set to be heard in March.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Support of CNRP return online will lead to arrest’

    Anyone posting messages supporting the return of Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), on social media will be arrested, the Ministry of Interior announced on Tuesday. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak told The Post on Monday that authorities

  • CNRP activists arrested for ‘plotting insecurity’

    Three activists for the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have been sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court after they were arrested for their alleged involvement in an overseas-organised plot to mobilise demonstrations and cause insecurity. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun said the

  • Rainsy charged with ‘insulting the King’

    Ministries and state institutions have condemned Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), for allegedly insulting His Majesty King Norodom Sihamoni. The condemnation came in the wake of Rainsy’s claim on Thursday during an interview with Radio

  • Police conduct raid on Orchid massage parlour

    Thirty-seven people, including three minors, were detained after Phnom Penh Municipal Police and the Department of Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection raided the Orchid massage parlour in Sen Sok district’s Phnom Penh Thmey commune on Monday. The 27-room massage parlour is believed to have