Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protest blocked: Workers at factory seek full salaries

Protest blocked: Workers at factory seek full salaries

Protest blocked: Workers at factory seek full salaries

Police yesterday morning blocked more than 1,000 garment workers as they tried to march from their Por Sen Chey district factory to the Ministry of Labour to plead for intervention.

Management at the Ocean Garment factory informed staff on May 24 that it would close for one month beginning May 26 due to insufficient orders, said Pav Sina, president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, which represents workers there.

During that month, employees will earn only $15. Workers in Cambodia’s garment sector have earned a minimum wage of $100 per month since February.

“The factory suspended the workers without informing them in advance,” Sina said. “So the employer has to pay 100 per cent of the workers’ wages.”

National Military Police spokesman Kheng Tito yesterday said in a text message that police had orders to stop the march partially due to security concerns.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on