Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protesters bailed but still behind bars in Bavet



Protesters bailed but still behind bars in Bavet

Police hold a group of people arrested during garment worker protests in Bavet in December. Photo supplied
Police hold a group of people arrested during garment worker protests in Bavet in December. Photo supplied

Protesters bailed but still behind bars in Bavet

Four garment workers swept up in the first wave of arrests during mass strikes in Bavet last month were granted bail yesterday, but have not yet been freed as the decision was appealed by the provincial court’s prosecutor, a court official said yesterday.

The factory employees were charged on December 18 with allegedly damaging a fire truck and injuring police during a two-week minimum wage strike that drew more than 30,000 workers from factories in the Svay Rieng border town.

The four men are Van Vicheat, 24, Kong Phros, 27, Pal Dinmalyda, 28, and Kheng Sokha, 31.

Tep Phalla, an administrator at Svay Rieng Provincial Court, said late last night that the investigating judge had decided yesterday to release the workers on bail, but this was held up by the appeal.

This was reiterated by Hen Bun, the men’s lawyer. “We hope that the appeal court will make the decision like the investigator did, to release them on bail,” she said.

Neither the court administrator nor Bun could confirm why bail was appealed, and provincial prosecutor Kong Chankhemrith declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through