Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protesters in Svay Rieng demand reinstatement of union representatives




Protesters in Svay Rieng demand reinstatement of union representatives

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Some 500 workers protest in front of their factory in Svay Rieng province, demanding the reinstatement of three representatives who intended to form a trade union. pav sina

Protesters in Svay Rieng demand reinstatement of union representatives

Some 500 workers on Wednesday protested in front of their factory at the GIGA special economic zone in Svay Rieng province’s Svay Teap district to demand the reinstatement of three representatives who intended to form a trade union.

Phon Mesa, one of the workers’ representatives from the Phnom Penh-based Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW), said he and the other two were dismissed after announcing their candidacy for union leadership at the Bai Hong factory, which produces lamps in Svay Teap district’s Kandieng Reay commune.

Mesa said the factory cited contract expiry as the reason behind their dismissals on Tuesday.

The planned creation of the union was intended to protect workers’ interests, he said, claiming the factory had abused labour law by forcing unpaid overtime on workers and frequently insulted them.

“The company fired me without a clear reason. It’s unfair because I’ve done nothing wrong – union formation is supported by the law. I’ll lead the protest until the company re-hires me,” he said.

CUMW president Pav Sina said the sacking was an act of discrimination with utter disregard for the law.

“The dismissal of [union] leaders or activists at local level is happening again and again although the right to create unions is guaranteed by the law – something company owners don’t seem to care about,” he said.

Svay Rieng provincial Labour and Vocational Training Department director Has Bunthy said the body is mediating between the two parties.

“We are mediating in this case, but we don’t know when a solution will be reached. We have to wait and see while the negotiations are ongoing."

“As far as I know, the sacked workers were still on probation, so the company has the right to recruit more qualified workers."

“We are mediators so we want the owner to rehire [the sacked workers] to avoid protests,” he said.

Bai Hong currently employs 1,000 workers. A company representative could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15