Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protests to come after several unionists fired

Protests to come after several unionists fired

Protests to come after several unionists fired

Workers at a Phnom Penh garment factory yesterday said they will strike to protest the firing of five union members, while a management official defended the dismissals.

More than 2,000 employees at Por Sen Chey district’s Cambo Kotop Ltd will join the protest after the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW) members were briefly held by security guards and then fired yesterday, CUMW president Pav Sina said.

“They are free now, but they were fired from the factory without the implementation of legal procedures,” Sina said. “Workers will hold a large demonstration tomorrow [today] to demand the five unionists are reinstated, and the company stops interfering with CUMW.”

Those fired yesterday include CUMW’s president, vice president and secretary-general at the factory.

But Cambo Kotop’s corporate social responsibility manager, who identified himself as Kwak, said the five former employees had interfered with production for the past two weeks and had been warned repeatedly.

The workers are represented by CUMW and the government-leaning Cambodian Union Federation. Complaining that management made it too difficult for employees to switch unions, the CUMW representatives entered other departments and pressured people to stop working, Kwak said.

Cambo Kotop had scheduled for a Ministry of Labour inspector to look into the CUMW representatives’ concerns, Kwak said, but unionists continued baiting management.

“We asked them to stop until we figure this out, but they kept making problems,” Kwak said.

But Sina said he believed the action was an effort to drive CUMW out of Cambo Kotop.

The firings come as the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union (C.CAWDU) says several factories that fired its members have ignored Arbitration Council decisions for reinstatement.

Factories that dismissed at least four C.CAWDU workers have ignored the council’s decisions between August and December, according to union staffers. Arbitration Council staff could not confirm the decisions yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the