Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PVihear official demoted after alleged rape

PVihear official demoted after alleged rape

PVihear official demoted after alleged rape

A DISTRICT governor in Preah Vihear province who is being investigated on rape allegations has been removed from his post, though officials on Monday said they could not disclose the reason for the move.

Last month, a 20-year-old schoolteacher accused Ung Vuthy, the governor of Sangkum Thmey district, of attempting to rape her in February when he stayed overnight at her family’s home while investigating a suspected illegal logging ring.

Prak Saran, provincial coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, said the removal of Ung Vuthy had been announced Saturday. “I attended the ceremony on Saturday, and they read out that they were officially putting Choam Ksan district governor Ros Heng to replace Ung Vuthy, who has been removed to work as a normal civil servant at the provincial hall,” he said.

Khov Khun Hor, the provincial chief of cabinet, confirmed that the move had taken place, and added that it had been ordered by provincial governor Um Mara.

“I cannot comment on the story behind his removal,” Khov Khun Hor said.

Ung Vuthy said Monday that the move had made him distraught. “I am desperately unhappy with this removal, and I am not involved with the rape allegations. They want to destroy me,” he said.

Keo Sim, a prosecutor at Preah Vihear provincial court, referred to the move as “an internal affair of the administration”. He said the investigation of the rape complaint is ongoing.

“I questioned Ung Vuthy over the rape allegations [Sunday], and he told me that he just lied down with the schoolteacher for kissing and embracing her. They have not yet conducted a sexual relationship,” he said.

Ung Vuthy has previously told police that he never intended to rape the victim, and that he had only wanted to hug and kiss her in front of her parents to demonstrate his love for her and prove to them that he planned to marry her one day.

“I will forward this case next week to an investigating judge for more investigation before considering laying a charge against him,” Keo Sim said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not