Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pyrotechnics banned on lunar New Year



Pyrotechnics banned on lunar New Year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities will educate the public on dangers of explosives ahead of the upcoming lunar New Year holiday. Facebook

Pyrotechnics banned on lunar New Year

Banteay Meanchey provincial police have issued orders to local authorities throughout the province to discourage people from playing with fireworks, firecrackers and other explosives during festivities for the lunar New Year holiday which will take place from February 12-14.

Provincial police chief Sithi Loh instructed officers to educate the public about dangers associated with explosives and inform them of regulations prohibiting their use. Police must stop the importation of all types of incendiary devices and reach out to local market vendors to ensure compliance.

“Officers need to explain to the public that the sale, import and distribution of firecrackers or fireworks are illegal activities,” said Loh.

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearum told The Post on January 18 that provincial leaders would hold a meeting in February before the lunar new year to set out guidelines for the holiday and plans for special events.

“The provincial administration will issue an announcement letter to inform the public with regard to what will be prohibited during the holiday,” he said.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Meth Meas Pheakdey told The Post that the authority will issue guidance for the upcoming celebrations.

For last year’s lunar new year festivities, Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng advised all residents and government and private entities to refrain from all forms of pyrotechnics. Additionally, gambling was forbidden, and religious or traditional parades required official permission.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese