Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Raid of Chinese ELC sees 1,000 logs seized

Raid of Chinese ELC sees 1,000 logs seized

Authorities inspect lumber yesterday in Kampong Speu province during a raid on a company’s timber yard. Photo supplied
Authorities inspect lumber yesterday in Kampong Speu province during a raid on a company’s timber yard. Photo supplied

Raid of Chinese ELC sees 1,000 logs seized

More than 1,000 logs of illegally felled first-grade timber were seized from a Chinese-owned Great Field International land concession beside Kampong Speu province’s Oral Wildlife Sanctuary yesterday, according to officials and a local monitoring group.

A mixed force of 53 police and forestry officials confiscated 1,039 logs, most of which were phchek and sokrom, from a sawmill on the concession after receiving a tip-off, said deputy Oral district governor Bun Vichet.

“The timber was old and illegal, so we confiscated it to a place at the provincial forestry administration,” Vichet said, explaining that authorities were now searching for the owners of the sawmill, who had rented land on the sugar plantation for the operation.

Chea Hean, head of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, said the sawmill was known to belong to a businessman known only as “Nakry”, and had been logged inside the Oral Wildlife Sanctuary before being transported into the concession.

“They log the timber illegally in the protected area to process and sell domestically at the depot, and they cut the timber before exporting it to Vietnam. It has been going for about three years,” Hean said.

Separately, Theng Chanthy, police chief of Rattanakiri’s Lumphat district, said his forces had arrested three men for illegally transporting wood on Tuesday, but that they escaped yesterday.

“In the morning, they escaped while we were busy drilling a well to build a toilet,” he said.

Hak Siek Lim, spokesman for the Tbong Khmum provincial court, also said military police in his province arrested seven men for the same crime on Tuesday but they were still being held for questioning.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman