Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rare statue unearthed by Chinese developer

Rare statue unearthed by Chinese developer

Rare statue unearthed by Chinese developer

A Chinese-owned company in Preah Vihear’s Tbeng Mean­chey district stumbled across an 8th-century sandstone carving of the Buddha while excavating land there on Wednesday, the provincial culture department said yesterday.

Oug Vireak, a deputy with the culture department, said the firm Lan Feng had been bulldozing a two-metre-deep hole in the vicinity of the Yeak Phlok temple when they uncovered the pre-Angkorian relic, which measures 60 centimetres by 60 centimetres at the base and weighs some 50 kilograms.

“We came to investigate in the area, and we were able to confirm that it is a kind of sandstone [statue] which was made in the 8th century at the Yeak Phlok temple area,” Vireak said. “Now we are keeping it at the company before transferring it to the culture department.”

Moa Ri, director of the culture department’s heritage office, said that officials had requested that Lan Feng temporarily stop bulldozing in the area until experts are able to examine it further, noting that more antiquities could be buried there.

“The villagers gathered in this area and want to dig in it, but we could not allow them to,” he said. “We are afraid of them affecting the antiquities in the area. They are state property. No one can take them to another place or sell it.”

Ri also said that the company must notify culture authorities when they discover such archaeological artefacts.

Villagers have accused Lan Feng of clearing land without regard to the boundaries of their 9,000-hectare concession, and of failing to consider the concession’s impact on locals.

Yesterday, ethnic villager Phan Sokhet, 25, said that some 100 villagers had gathered to watch over the area overnight to ensure that the company did not abscond with any other still-buried relics.

“We are afraid the company would not report it to the authorities if they found some antiques, or would keep it secret,” he said. “That’s why we came to sleep here and keep watch. One worker from the company told us [about the statue]; that’s how we knew about it.”

Lor Chan, a coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, said that villagers had “suggested the authorities take [the statue] right away to keep it at the Culture Department, not at the company office”.

However, Hau An Tak, an interpreter for Fan Leng, maintained that the company had no intention to steal any artefacts, and said the firm would comply with the Culture Department’s request to hold off on further excavations until experts had examined the site.

Tbeng Meanchey district governor Paing Yeat, meanwhile, said that authorities had stationed police to prevent anyone from disturbing the area.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro