Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Relocated resident’s complaint baffling

Relocated resident’s complaint baffling

Relocated resident’s complaint baffling

Dear Editor,

As the international consultant in charge of implementing the resettlement plan for  seven privatised rubber estates including the Chup rubber plantation, I would like to make a clarification on the article “Relocation deals unfair, say families”, published in the Post on April 3.

The Chup plantation was privatised in 2009, and a resettlement plan was approved by the Royal Government in May, 2009.

The principle was to create a new living area close to an existing village that had the necessary infrastructure, and to provide a plot of land to concerned families under the same principle as social land concessions.

The affected people were informed well in advance of the compensation principle regarding the size of land, financial compensation or replacement, according to the size and type of their dwellings.

Moreover, families were authorised to dismantle their own dwellings and rebuild on the relocation site. There was no compensation for the land, as the land belongs to the State.

Registration for those accepting the compensation principle was done in May, 2010. When the relocation site master plan was approved, the  families concerned were called for public plot-allocation drawing in July, 2011.

The families, therefore, had been well informed of the relocation plan. Only the date could not be fixed, as it depended on construction works.

When the site was ready, the concerned families willing to move were requested to register, and 438 families voluntarily registered.

The official announcement did not catch anyone by surprise. The 15-day delay should allow families to move their dwellings, but we are flexible, especially as it’s Khmer New Year.

Financial compensation is given to a family as soon as their existing house is removed.

As for the case reported in your paper, our records show Hom Hon registered voluntarily to accept the compensation principle on May 17, 2010 and made the plot drawing on July 14, 2011.

The plot allocation contract that clearly mentions the land size and financial compensation was thumb-printed by Hom Hon and his wife as acceptance of the “deal”.  

Hom Hon had already dismantled half his cottage before complaining to radio and the press, but did not fill in the official complaint form.

I wonder who is behind his action, and what the objective is?

Patrick Pierrat

Send letters to: [email protected] or PO?Box 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length.
The views expressed above are solely the author’s and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government denies claims former Thai PM Yingluck issued Cambodian passport

    Government officials on Thursday denied claims that a Cambodian passport was issued to former Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who reportedly used it to register a company in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong-based English language South China Morning Post (SCMP) on Wednesday reported Hong Kong

  • US’ Cambodian ambassador appointment blocked

    The US Senate returned the nomination of Patrick Murphy as Ambassador to Cambodia back to US President Donald Trump on Thursday, as the American government shutdown entered its third week. The US Senate website announcement said it returned Murphy’s nomination as ambassador as his

  • Diplomatic passports issued to foreigners to be annulled

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation will move to annul diplomatic passports issued to those not born in Cambodia. Analysts say the move may be in relation to reports that former Thai prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra used a Cambodian passport to register as

  • Hun Sen warns Irish MP of EBA ‘mistake’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Saturday told former Irish premier Enda Kenny, still a member of the EU nation’s parliament, that the 28-nation bloc should not make a “third mistake” regarding Cambodia by using the preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement to “take 16 million