Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Replanting scheme touted

Replanting scheme touted

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Replanting scheme touted

A government announcement that it will promote the replanting of trees in areas reclaimed from unused economic land concessions has drawn a broadly positive response.

But Buntenh, a monk and environmental activist, yesterday said that while the idea was good, it was not clear that the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF), the body responsible for the program, would perform.

“I think this could be for publicity, because we’ve heard it so many times before: two or three ministers of agriculture said they would do this and nothing happened,” he said.

However, Buntenh added, it was possible that increased pressure from the electorate was motivating change. And, he said, the agriculture minister appeared more dedicated than his predecessors.

Veng Sakhon, a former secretary of state at the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology, was appointed minister of agriculture in April in a ministerial reshuffle.

The program was reported yesterday by state media’s Agence Kampuchea Presse.

Curtis Hundley, the representative for Winrock International, a non-profit that works on deforestation issues, said the government had ample resources to succeed with its pledge.

“In the technical working groups they’ve told us they have 10 million seedlings, and I’ve seen the nurseries,” Hundley said.

But not everyone thinks the government should be responsible for reforestation.

“I don’t think the government should pay for it,” said Bunra Seng, the country head of Conservation International. “The people who took the land should replant the trees.”

Thun Sarath, a spokesman with the Forestry Administration, confirmed that the administration was working with MAFF on the project, but referred other questions to the ministry.

MAFF spokesman Lor Raksmey said the ministry had a plan for 2017 but refused to elaborate on the details.

MOST VIEWED

  • Website advises travellers to stay clear of Angkor Wat

    An Australian website has advised travellers to avoid Angkor Wat during their trip to Southeast Asia because the ancient temple is showing signs of rapid erosion and faced water management issues. In a recent article entitled Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid

  • Passenger taxi boat ridership sinks despite free services

    Passenger taxi boat traffic has dropped by about five per cent compared to the same period last year, despite the government providing free service for garment workers until next year, Phnom Penh Autonomous Bus Transportation Authority director Ean Sokhim said on Monday. In 2018, the Phnom

  • Shipments of mango to South Korea poised to begin this week

    Exports of Cambodian mangoes to South Korea will begin this week after Korean authorities gave the nod. The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries’ Department of Plant Protection, Sanitary and Phytosanitary Requirements director Ker Monthivuth told The Post on Sunday that after several inspections of

  • Kingdom drafting new law to strengthen immigration

    The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday said it had formed a working group to draft amendments to the Law on Immigration. Its secretary of state Sok Phal told The Post that the amendments will strengthen the management of immigrants in line with the current situation.

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Jica seeks to turn PP, towns into smart cities

    Japanese International Cooperation Agency (Jica) representatives have sought support from Siem Reap’s Apsara National Authority (ANA) to transform the ancient capital into a smart city. The call was made in February last year after the government approved three cities to join the Asean Smart