Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Reprimand over halted march

Reprimand over halted march

Authorities man a roadblock on the outskirts of Phnom Penh
Authorities man a roadblock on the outskirts of Phnom Penh last week on National Road 6 in an effort to stop Human Rights Day marchers from reaching the capital. Pha Lina

Reprimand over halted march

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sar Kheng slammed Lay Vanak, the Takeo provincial governor, at a monthly meeting of high-ranking officials on Friday for what he characterised as the governor’s botched handling of a Human Rights Day march.

In a recording of the meeting, Kheng can be heard praising other provincial governors and police officials in attendance, saying that they had done a good job of preserving freedom of expression on Human Rights Day.

He reserved much harsher words for Vanak, however, accusing him of inappropriately allowing authorities to block monks and rights activists in the province who, like several groups from around the country, were seeking to march into Phnom Penh to take part in Human Rights Day celebrations.

“They were just marching without holding sticks or weapons, but you [Vanak] took an extremist measure. It was a useless [measure] that the public criticised and insulted us for,” Kheng said. “Next time you have to ask me.”

At one point, Kheng also appeared to chastise Vanak for summoning a court official to explain a recent arrest, saying the action constituted a violation of the court’s independence.

“[You] don’t know about your work,” he said.

According to Nut Chamroeun, of the rights group Adhoc, more than a hundred monks and rights activists who had planned to march to Phnom Penh were blocked by soldiers and police at their starting point in Takeo province’s

Kirivong district on December 4 and 5.

Local authorities had told participants that they would not be allowed to march without permission from the Ministry of Interior, she said.

“It was not a demonstration, people just wanted to march to celebrate International Human Rights Day. Therefore there is no need to ask for permission, and we people can just inform the local authorities for their own information,” Chamroeun said.

Vanak could not be reached yesterday, and Nou Sovanny, Takeo’s deputy provincial governor, declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials