Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Researchers locate two of four child S-21 survivors

Researchers locate two of four child S-21 survivors

Researchers locate two of four child S-21 survivors

090213_03.jpg
090213_03.jpg

Photo by:
CHY TERITH/DC-CAM

Norng Chan Phal and his daughter.

RESEARCHERS have found two of four living former child prisoners of Tuol Sleng prison, one week after evidence first emerged suggesting they were still alive.  

Brothers Norng Chan Phal and Norng Chanly have been confirmed as two of the five children the Documentation Centre of Cambodia (DC-Cam) identified in archival footage donated by Vietnam last month.

DC-Cam has confirmed that one of the five is dead.

"I have met with the older bother, Norng Chan Phal. They were both detained at S-21 with their mother in 1977," DC-Cam Director Youk Chhang said.

Youk Chhang said DC-Cam has long thought there were more than seven prisoners who escaped S-21, although just seven had been identified.

Contacted by the Post Thursday, child survivor Norng Chan Phal, now 39 years old, confirmed he would present himself at prison chief Kaing Guek Eav's trial, which begins next week.

"I present myself now to join the hearing," he said. "I haven't presented myself before because I felt hesitant. The [Khmer Rouge tribunal] has been delayed and left victims to feel hopeless about justice. It has meant that the regime's top leaders died one by one."

Keat Bophal, director of the court's Victims Unit, said it was "not possible" for the child survivors to participate as civil parties in the trial of Kaing Guek Eav, better known as Duch, because the deadline, according to internal rules, has passed.

"However, they can still file a complaint so their information is sent to the trial chamber, who will decide whether to call them as witnesses," she told the Post. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will