Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Resident from Borei Keila questioned on protest



Resident from Borei Keila questioned on protest

Borei Keila resident Phork Sophin (second left) speaks to the press on Tuesday outside of the Ministry of Interior, where she was questioned over a protest at a developer’s home.
Borei Keila resident Phork Sophin (second left) speaks to the press on Tuesday outside of the Ministry of Interior, where she was questioned over a protest at a developer’s home. Pha Lina

Resident from Borei Keila questioned on protest

Authorities questioned a Borei Keila resident on Tuesday for her role in a protest outside the home of developer Suy Sophan, who filed a complaint against her earlier in March.

Borei Keila resident Phork Sophin said that she may be charged with defamation and the destruction of personal property.

Sophin is one of hundreds of residents affected in a long-running land dispute with Sophan’s company, Phanimex, whose large-scale development forced them from their homes. The company pledged to build 10 apartment buildings for displaced residents but ended up only constructing eight, leaving some families in limbo.

Sophin and other residents gathered multiple times at Sophan’s house in February to demand compensation, and at one point banged on the gate after security guards confiscated their belongings.

“She cleared the houses and grabbed our land without providing solutions, but when I protest, they accuse us of ruining her reputation instead. Where is the justice?” she asked. “The poor like us cannot get justice? Who offers justice to us?”

Read more: Borei Keila eviction, 6 years on

Sok Khemrin, head of the Ministry of Interior’s Crime Department, where Sophin was questioned, said officials had asked about the protest last month, but neither detained nor charged her.

“I don’t know what she is accused of because I have not questioned her, but . . . if there is an arrest, the officials will call to ask for opinion from me,” he said, declining to comment further.

Sophan declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman