Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Residents told to seek medical care for dengue



Residents told to seek medical care for dengue

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ratanakkiri provincial governor Thong Savon was speaking at a press conference on the province’s progress update and future direction at the Council of Ministers on Monday. Heng Chivoan

Residents told to seek medical care for dengue

Ratanakkiri provincial governor Thong Savon has called on residents not to believe in superstition and instead seek treatment at health centres if they believe they have contracted dengue fever.

The province recorded 460 dengue fever cases last year and one person died after failing to receive treatment in time.

“Ratanakkiri province abounds with ethnic minorities who still believe in superstitions. It makes it difficult for us to change their mindsets and attitudes towards health services,” he said.

The governor said people died from the outbreak because they were making offerings to spirits instead of getting healthcare.

The environment in some villages and communes, he said, is still a factor in causing outbreaks and they need to be cleaned up.

“Dengue fever happens in the same villages and communes. We try to educate them that it is a public health problem,” he said.

Provincial health department director Ung Ratana said the provincial administration has taken measures to distribute the anti-dengue larvicide Abate and ordered local authorities to spray against mosquitoes in all areas that recorded the fever.

“There have been eight dengue cases in the first six months of the year. We instructed those infected to get treatment and there is no danger. This dengue fever outbreak lasts from April to November or December,” he said.

Dengue fever cases in the province spiked from 10 in 2018 to 460 last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants