Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rice shortage hits Kandal



Rice shortage hits Kandal

Rice shortage hits Kandal

Kandal province could face a shortage of 34,530 tonnes of rice this year because

rice output in the both the rainy and dry seasons reached only 176,200 tonnes,

according to the provincial agricultural service's estimation.

The

service said the figure of rice production was not able to meet the demand for

the 850,620 population of the province.

In the last rainy season, the

farmers in the province planted rice on 45,230 hectares and achieved an average

yield of one and half tonnes per hectare.

For this dry-season, farmers

have so far cultivated 12,300 hectares of short-term rice, or percent of the

planned output.

To cope with such the situation, the provincial authority

provided pumping machines, petrol to the local people and helped them restore

the irrigation network in order to accelerate and increase dry-season rice

cultivation.

Meanwhile the World Food Program (WFP) in Cambodia announced

plans to provide 40,000 tons of rice to the country this year.

The

pledge of assistance by the WFP will be done in accordance with an agreement

signed here on Feb 2, by WFP representative, Mr Scott Leipar, and Cambodian Red

Cross Vice President My Samedy.

The 40,000 tons to rice will be provided

to the Cambodian repatriates, war displaced people, needy families and victims

of natural calamities in the country.

Last year, Cambodia received 70,000

tons of rice from WFP.

Cambodia, once self-sufficient in rice and a major

rice exporter, has wrestled with shortfalls for over twenty years.

Regaining self-sufficiency in rice production is a one of the most

important objectives for the new government.

 

- AKP

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting