Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rights groups call for election intervention



Rights groups call for election intervention

Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn prepares to lead a delegation to Singapore on Saturday for the 32nd Asean summit. Rights groups have urged Asean to call on Cambodia to reverse its descent into “political instability”. Facebook
Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn prepares to lead a delegation to Singapore on Saturday for the 32nd Asean summit. Rights groups have urged Asean to call on Cambodia to reverse its descent into “political instability”. Facebook

Rights groups call for election intervention

Asian pro-democracy and human rights groups have called on Asean member states to intervene to reverse Cambodia’s “severe deterioration” into political instability, adding it was not too late to reinstate the opposition and hold legitimate elections.

As the 32nd Asean summit kicked off in Singapore on Wednesday, Human Rights Watch, the Asian Network for Free Elections and other groups called on Singapore Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan to urge Cambodia to change course after the “severe deterioration in the state of human rights and democracy”.

Last year, the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party – the nation’s only viable opposition – was dissolved and its leader, Kem Sokha, was arrested on charges of “treason”.

The increasingly repressive steps were “in disharmony” with Asean’s core principle to “promote regional peace and stability through abiding respect for justice and the rule of law”, the letter reads.

“It is not too late for the Cambodian government to restore a fair environment for the July 29, 2018 national election, which will allow the Cambodian people to choose their leaders in a credible electoral process,” it says. “No Cambodian government elected under the current circumstances would have any claim to legitimacy.”

Exiled former CNRP Deputy President Mu Sochua said what Prime Minister Hun Sen needed most was legitimacy, “which he won’t have if he competes alone”.

Foreign Ministry and government spokesmen could not be reached, but in the past the government has argued that Asean must abide by the principle of “noninterference”.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman