Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rights worker beaten at rally

Rights worker beaten at rally

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Sarim Sarun, a freelance reporter, walks through a crowd with blood on his face yesterday after being hit by the authorities at a World Habitat Day march. Heng Chivoan

Rights worker beaten at rally

A march by 300 villagers from 99 communities to mark World Habitat Day was marred by violence yesterday after Daun Penh district security guards beat up five people en route to the Ministry of Land Management, including an observer from human rights group Licadho.

The march, which consisted of villagers affected by land disputes and supporting NGOs, started at Phnom Penh’s Chaktomuk Theatre and was headed towards Freedom Park, when the group decided to change course to the Ministry of Land Management to deliver petitions.

The brawl started when the Daun Penh guards – notorious for numerous bloody crackdowns in the wake of the 2013 elections – snatched a drum from a villager, with a tussle ensuing between both sides. Security guards then started beating up Boeung Kak community representative Chan Puthisak, when Licadho’s monitoring manager Am Sam Ath attempted to defuse the situation. “I saw the man being beaten and thought it could get serious, so I asked them to stop beating him,” Sam Ath said. “I just said that and then security guards started to beat me.”

Sam Ath received injuries to his mouth and face, and has lodged a complaint with the Chey Chumneah commune police station in Daun Penh district. “I want the police to take legal action on this case,” he added.

Additionally, freelance reporter Sarim Sarun was left bleeding from his head after being hit with a walkie-talkie, and former Boeung Kak resident Sat Pha received injuries to her shoulder and face. “They just beat us without saying anything,” Pha said. “The government never cares about our concerns – we just want justice.”

According to a City Hall notice dated October 8, the group had permission to assemble at Freedom Park, with only 10 land representatives allowed to deliver petitions to the Land Management Ministry.

City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada said the group had violated their agreement by conducting the march and that officers were only trying to stop them from changing their route.

“The security guards did not beat them. We do not know who started the trouble first,” he said. In the afternoon, ministry official Heu Chanda met with the protesters at Freedom Park to accept their petitions, saying that the ministry was working to find a solution to their disputes but that it would take time.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Licadho staffer Am Sam Ath tries to defend himself from daun penh authorities yesterday morning in phnom penh during a World Habitat Day march. Heng Chivoan

A statement signed by 60 groups yesterday condemned the attack on the peaceful march, calling it another example of the government’s “restrictive environment for the peaceful exercise of fundamental freedoms”.

Sia Phearum, director of the Housing Rights Task Force, said the government’s lack of accountability and transparency had let land disputes spread like a “cancer” across the nation. And their inability to address these issues had forced villagers to take to the streets, he added.

Soeung Saran, advocacy manager at Sahmakum Teang Tnaut, meanwhile, said little progress had been made to address disputants’ grievances. “They [the ministry] have solved some problems in the provinces, but in Phnom Penh there is not much noticeable difference,” he said.

Additional Reporting by Ananth Baliga

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said