Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rise in crimes involving foreigners in Kingdom

Rise in crimes involving foreigners in Kingdom

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The number of foreign perpetrators also increased last year with 324 cases involving foreigners, an increase of 15 per cent compared to 2018. Heng Chivoan

Rise in crimes involving foreigners in Kingdom

Deputy National Police chief Thong Lim has instructed police officers to increase efforts to protect foreigners in the country, following a report that showed they were victimised more last year.

At the Ministry of Interior’s annual meeting on Tuesday with representatives of diplomatic corps, Lim said the annual discussion with embassies was intended to strengthen collaboration and exchange of information to find swift solutions for foreign investors and tourists.

“Foreigners encountered more problems last year than in 2018. Authorities must step up efforts to safeguard them.

“Officials must be more attentive and ensure security, safety and public order, especially at target embassies and residences, as well as for diplomatic officials, foreign investors and tourists,” he said.

A report issued at the meeting noted that foreign investors and tourists were victimised in 558 cases last year, an increase of 31, or about five per cent, from 2018. There were 681 victims in the cases, of whom 245 died and 100 were injured.

The majority of the victims were Chinese, Vietnamese, French, English and US nationals. Most of the incidents occurred in Siem Reap and Preah Sihanouk provinces and Phnom Penh.

The number of foreign perpetrators also increased last year, with 324 cases involving foreigners, an increase of 49 cases, or about 15 per cent, compared to 2018.

As a result of police work on those cases, 1,433 foreigners of 40 different nationalities were detained across the Kingdom.

The report also noted that the Chinese embassy filed 57 complaints seeking intervention, followed by the Indian embassy with 32.

It said police did a good job safeguarding delegates and diplomatic officials on official visits to the country.

Phnom Penh Municipal Police chief Sar Thet said the authorities in the capital are striving to strengthen protection for foreign visitors and investors.

“We are striving to continue this work every day. It cannot be said that we don’t do this work at all. If we compare it from one month to another, there are always ups and downs. But we handled the cases and brought them under control,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2