Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Robbery, murder suspect in custody

Robbery, murder suspect in custody

Robbery, murder suspect in custody

Slight hope flickered yesterday after information emerged that two of the three children attacked in a brutal motorbike robbery on Sunday were still fighting for their lives — conflicting with an earlier police report — and that a suspect who authorities said had been arrested a day earlier was finally in custody.

But the shifting stories went unnoticed by the victims of the crime.

There is the boy, a six-year-old who was beaten to death at his home in Pursat.

Then there are his sisters, aged eight and 10, both in comas and possibly suffering broken necks from the attack.

Relatives including an older brother, Voeun Var, kept a bedside vigil yesterday at Phnom Penh’s Kantha Bopha hospital, where the sisters had been sent for advance treatment.

 Var told the Post his sisters had not woken up since he arrived in the hospital. Although doctors would not disclose the condition of the girls, Var called it “critical”.

“The doctors have tried their best, but still cannot help them recover yet, and I’m told by the doctors that my sisters were badly hit on the head and there is blood inside there,” he said.

Doctors and hospital officials declined to comment on the case.

As family members wait for the children to open their eyes, police are questioning the person they believe delivered the beatings.

Following a tip, police raided a rental house in Phnom Penh’s Por Senchey district yesterday, arresting a 28-year-old man named Bun Yet.

Born Samath, police chief of Por Senchey district, said that after the arrest police found the stolen motorbike hidden in a nearby café.

Kandal provincial police chief Eav Chamroeun, who helped co-ordinate the operation in the capital, said Yet had admitted his guilt and was being transferred to a cell in Pursat.

“The suspect has confessed that he did rob a motorbike and hit the three children,” Chamroeun said Seung Sopheak, deputy police commissioner of Pursat province, said that once the suspect had been brought back to Pursat, he planned to take swift legal action.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Yuthana at [email protected]
 

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not