Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rock Hard signs off suddenly



Rock Hard signs off suddenly

Rock Hard signs off suddenly

O NE of the capital's most famed expat nightspots Rock Hard Cafe closed abruptly

on June 3, doing it in typical style - with a riproaring party which rumbled on

until dawn.

Manager Peter Getgood, said there were many reasons for

closing but the immediate cause was that the lease had run out. He said the

major partner Hogi Hyun of Singapore wanted a five year renewal but was only

offered a one-year contract.

Getwood said "This made a [necessary]

upgrade of the establishment unfeasible. The drop-off in tourism also

contributed."

He added: "When Untac was here it was an Untac bar and

when they left the expected tourism boom never materialized."

While the

drinking at the party was prodigious, there was a trace of saddness in the air

as it marked the end of one of the more well-known expat pubs which survived the

withdrawal of Untac .

Mike Mills, an American expat, summed it up saying:

"There is no alternative, with most bars opening late.

"There was no

place where you could sip beer and eat in the afternoon in such a laid-back

atmosphere."

The pub, which shamelessly ripped off the Hard Rock Cafe

logo, gained international notoriety for the high jinks of Untac staff during

its heyday. Their exploits were splashed over six pages of Australian Penthouse

and it was the subject of articles in the German magazine Der Speigal and

Australian Business Review.

Post Untac the bar had a slightly less

raunchy image but was well known for its good music, relaxed atmosphere and its

Western food.

It opened in June 1992 and closed on June 1 with staff

being informed as they arrived or shortly before starting work.

It then

re-opened for just one night for the farewell.

Getgood denied that the

recent upsurge in fighting contributed to the downturn in business but he said

the sales of T-shirts increased dramatically with its "Holiday in Cambodia"

logo.

The bar closed leaving several debts amounting to several thousand

dollars but Kevin Whitcraft, who described himself as fund manager, said they

would all be paid in full.

A leading official at the Ministry of Post

and Telecommunications Department, which is one of the creditors, said on June

10 that steps had been taken to stop any parties involved leaving the country

prior to the debts being met.

When asked if the bar could re-open,

Getgood replied "not under my auspices" and added he was more concerned about

finding new jobs for his 11 Khmer staff.

Shannon Little, a Western

barmaid concluded: It was a fun place to hang out and we'll miss working

there."

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants