After storms swept through Kampong Chhnang this weekend, representatives of the royal family, along with a provincial governor and the local Red Cross, visited a pair of communes to provide donations to 194 families affected by inclement weather that has ravaged the Kingdom this rainy season.
The communes impacted were Longvek in Kampong Tralach district and Svay Chuk in Samaki Meanchey district.
Chhim Vuthea, district chief in Kampong Tralach, said 80 homes in the area had roof damage and would receive $100 each while 27 families whose homes were destroyed would get twice that amount. All would receive rice, noodles and plastic tarps. A local primary school was also damaged.
According to Keo Vy, National Committee for Disaster Management spokesman, from January 1 to June 21, strong winds have damaged 163 homes this year compared to 145 for the first six months of 2015.
During the same period, 1,208 homes have been completely destroyed this year compared to 1,042 last year. Injuries, too, are up, from 115 to 139. The only statistic showing improvement is the number of people killed, down from 12 to nine.
“We have not estimated [the costs], because it happened across many provinces,” Vy said.
Flood warnings were issued this week for Phnom Penh and 12 provinces.