Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rt. 5 caution after NGO chief dies



Rt. 5 caution after NGO chief dies

Rt. 5 caution after NGO chief dies

INTERNATIONAL organisations are urging travellers on Bat-tangbang's Route 5 to exercise

extreme caution following the killing of three men at an illegal check point about

40 kilometers east of Pursat.

The men have been identified as Reach Savuth, the director of the local NGO Cambodian

Community Development of Veteran's Affairs (CCDV), his bodyguard and their driver.

According to several reliable sources, a convoy of six vehicles was stopped by uniformed

men at Arang Rouch village early on the morning of May 5.

Witnesses said the checkpoint was manned by about twenty people who were wearing

both RCAF and KR uniforms.

A senior provincial police officer said the three were killed after a soldier fired

at close range into their Nissan sedan with an automatic weapon.

The sedan was part of a six vehicle convoy, one of which was carrying armed soldiers.

However, the soldiers did not return fire and there were no reports of other people

in the convoy being robbed, leading to speculation that the passengers in the sedan

were specifically targeted.

The Nissan had arrived in Pursat the previous day in the company of trucks on route

to Phnom Penh from Poipet. Apparently it suffered mechanical problems and was forced

to seek repairs while the men stayed overnight in Krakor town.

The shootings follow another recent incident where one person was killed and another

seriously injured after militia opened fire on a taxi approximately ten kms north-west

of Pursat town. Sources believe the militia opened fire because the taxi refused

to stop at an illegal checkpoint or that the 'toll' it paid was insufficient.

The incidents have prompted the re-issue of security advice for travel within Pursat

province.

A widely circulated report recommends travel be restricted to between 8:00 am and

4:00 pm and that all travel be conducted in convoy whenever possible. The advice

also recommends details of locations and destinations not be discussed over the radio.

Meanwhile, all bridges on Route 5 are reportedly passable and detours off the highway

are said to be no longer necessary.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both