Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rubbish collection firms to start operations in February



Rubbish collection firms to start operations in February

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Three firms have been choosen to collect rubbish throughout the capital. Hean Rangsey

Rubbish collection firms to start operations in February

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall is set to launch revamped solid waste collection and transportation services in early February next year, an official said.

Nuon Samnavuth, the municipal hall’s Solid Waste Management Authority, told The Post on December 1 that an agreement will be signed with three companies, which were successful in the bid to provide solid waste collection and transportation services in mid-December.

He said that after signing the agreement, the three firms will start their operations at designated areas in the capital starting February 1.

Samnavuth did not reveal the name of the three companies, saying only that they were selected from 20 bidders that had joined the auction process.

“Companies selection has reached second stage. They proposed the price and then we considered it and evaluated the techniques and conditions to determine if they meet our requirements,” said Samnavuth.

On October 22, last year, Prime Minister Hun Sen decided to withdraw the right in collecting rubbish from Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd, the company that was given the exclusive right to provide solid waste collection and transportation services in Phnom Penh.

As Cintri does not have the ability to provide proper rubbish collection service, Hun Sen decided to appoint the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration as a temporary caretaker of rubbish collection until new firms are appointed to provide the services.

At that moment, the municipal hall decided to divide rubbish collection in Phnom Penh to three zones.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability (Ansa) executive director San Chey said this is a new form of competition.

“If there are truly three companies, it is a form of competition in providing services. Competition leads to great benefits. When service providers compete with one another, people who receive services will benefit from it,” he said.

According to a Ministry of Environment report published at the end of last year, there were over 10,000 tonnes of rubbish produced daily in Cambodia, including 3,000 tonnes in Phnom Penh per day.

In total, Cambodia produces nearly four million tonnes of rubbish per year, including 65 per cent of organic wastes, 20 per cent of plastic wastes and the remaining are solid and other waste.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal