Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rubbish Youths pledge to pursue collection of waste in sewage canal

Rubbish Youths pledge to pursue collection of waste in sewage canal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rubbish Youths founder San Daravid said he will continue removing litter from the Boeung Trabek canal. Supplied

Rubbish Youths pledge to pursue collection of waste in sewage canal

A group calling themselves “Rubbish Youths” who have become social media celebrities for removing litter from the Boeung Trabek canal have said they will continue doing so despite the authorities halting their Khmer New Year event.

Made up of some 30 young people, the group vowed to keep on clearing rubbish until Cambodia is free of it after Chamkarmon district authorities shut down the trash-collecting new year celebrations they were holding.

Authorities said the group had not applied for permission for the event in Boeung Trabek which was held to highlight the capital’s rubbish problem and underscore the importance of disposing waste properly.

Rubbish Youths acknowledged their mistake in failing to request permission for the event but said they were determined to continue their efforts.

“I think our citizens have thrown rubbish away in a messy manner for many years, so it has become a bad habit that cannot be changed immediately."

“Besides rubbish collection from the canal, the next plan is to collect trash thrown on the ground throughout Phnom Penh,” Rubbish Youths founder San Daravid said in a video viewed by almost 50,000 people on Facebook on Tuesday.

Daravid told The Post on Wednesday that he did not expect the authorities to shut down their New Year event held to highlight the serious effects rubbish has on the environment.

However, he said he did not seek permission from the authorities as he thought the event was only a small one held with good intentions.

Thim Sam An, the deputy governor of Chamkarmon district, said on Wednesday that while the authorities encouraged the group’s activities, they were concerned the unauthorised event was dangerous.

“I do thank them for their efforts but I want them to be educators for people and leave the work of collecting rubbish to the authorities. It can be dangerous for young people to go into the canal to collect rubbish like that. The canal is deep,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police