Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Running land disputes set off protests in Phnom Penh



Running land disputes set off protests in Phnom Penh

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People from Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar district gathered to protest at the Ministry of Land Management yesterday. Pha Lina

Running land disputes set off protests in Phnom Penh

Some 50 people from Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar district gathered to protest at the Ministry of Land Management on Monday over a dispute with the Overseas Cambodia Investment Company (OCIC).

Chea Sophat, 63, who led the group representing some 100 families, said they were protesting because, since 2011, OCIC had cleared their land for its developments after receiving a concession from the government.

Sophat asked the Land Ministry to intervene and make OCIC return their land.

“Our last position is a demand for only 50 percent of our land that’s in conflict with OCIC, and the remaining 50 percent of the land we will give to the company and the Phnom Penh Municipal Hall because today, we are in trouble over this issue,” he said.

He said the group had sought solutions from relevant institutions and companies, but they said the responsibility lay with Phnom Penh Municipal Hall, which has so far only granted each family 10 percent of the land they are claiming.

An OCIC representative, who declined to be named, also said the compensation was the responsibility of Phnom Penh Municipal Hall, because they were the ones who granted them the land concession for their developments.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesperson Met Measpheakdey declined comment on the case.

Separately, some 20 people, representing 53 families from Kampong Chhnang’s Kampong Tralach district, protested outside Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Cabinet over a similar dispute.

Led by Oum Sophy, they submitted a letter of complaint to the Cabinet over their dispute with KDC International Company, which is owned by Chea Kheng, the wife of the Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem.

“We are not asking for huge compensation like we did before. Now, we just want the company and government to give us back some of the 121 hectares of our land. I call on the government and relevant authorities to provide a solution for us,” Sophy said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting