Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Russian man sentenced in absentia for child sex crimes

Russian man sentenced in absentia for child sex crimes

Russian man sentenced in absentia for child sex crimes

NGO says the accused, convicted of abusing three young boys in 2008, fled in August after his first sentence was suspended.

PHNOM Penh's Court of Appeal on Wednesday sentenced in absentia a convicted Russian paedophile to three years in prison, upholding an appeal by the prosecution, which argued that his original sentence was too weak and should never have been suspended.

Nikita Velov, 27, was arrested in January 2008 on suspicion of committing indecent acts with three boys aged 7 to 14 in Preah Sihanouk. At the time of his arrest, he was with one of the boys in a guesthouse.

He was found guilty in August by Preah Sihanouk provincial court, but his sentence was suspended, and he is believed to have fled the country not long after.  

"We announced the verdict in absentia to convict Velov to serve a three-year jail sentence and ordered him to pay 15 million riels [US$3,602]combined to the three boys," Presiding Judge Nhoung Thol told the Post Wednesday.

The country director for the  child rights NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) said Velov left Cambodia for Thailand via the Poipet border crossing last August.

"We are not sure whether the appeal judges at the hearing this morning knew or pretended not to know that the accused man left Cambodia through the Poipet border on August 5, 2008, wearing a wig," Samleang Seila said, adding that Velov had been released on bail after serving his initial sentence of six months.

Nhuong Thol told the Post Wednesday that he had "made the assumption that the man was not released".  

"But if the man left Cambodia through the Poipet border like APLE says, we would then follow our ongoing procedure to investigate the man," he added.

Velov's defence lawyer, Nuon Chantha, declined to comment on his client's whereabouts Wednesday.

"It is a mystery why the court did not let us know clearly where the man is - whether he is in prison or whether he has fled Cambodia," said Peng Maneth, a lawyer working for APLE.

"We were completely sure that the accused left Cambodia, based on information we have received from the Ministry of Interior's Department of Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection," Samleang Seila said. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • Huge 3.5-tonne ivory haul seized in capital

    Working with US officials, Phnom Penh Autonomous Port has uncovered almost 3.5 tonnes of elephant ivory hidden in a container, the US Embassy in Cambodia said on Facebook on Saturday. A tip-off provided to the General Department of Customs and Excise by a US Fish and

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling