Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sanctuary bridge ‘torched’



Sanctuary bridge ‘torched’

Stockpiled lumber allegedly felled in Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary in Ratanakkiri this month
Stockpiled lumber allegedly felled in Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary in Ratanakkiri this month. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Sanctuary bridge ‘torched’

The burning of a bridge that provided access to the Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary in Ratanakkiri is the handiwork of two oknhas and local environment officers, villagers have claimed.

In a complaint to rights group Adhoc, members of the ethnic Lao community in Kon Mom district say that the okhnas and officials have been carrying out extensive logging in the sanctuary and burned the bridge to cover their tracks.

“The oknhas … and environment officials colluded with each other to log the sanctuary for a number of months,” said Chhay Thy, provincial coordinator for Adhoc.

The honourific “oknha” is a Royal title bestowed on men or women who make significant financial contributions to the ruling party and its projects.

Thy claimed loggers had piled up flammable rubbish on a 3-by-6-metre bridge that connected the sanctuary to the nearby Hoang Anh Andong Meas economic land concession and set it alight.

“Their superiors began realising this illegal logging was taking place and attempted to visit there, so the bridge was burned,” he said. Villagers, in their complaint, claimed that logged timber was being taken onto the grounds of nearby land concessions.

Seng Mony, a representative of rubber company Hoang Anh Andong Meas, said he no longer worked there. Other representatives could not be reached.

A community member who asked not to be named because he was concerned for his safety said extensive logging of the sanctuary had been going on for the past two years, a claim consistent with previous reports in the Post.

He believed that more than 50 people and 10 trucks were involved.

Chhoem Sokhim, chief of Sre Angkrang commune, said logging within the sanctuary certainly occurred but he was not aware who was behind it.

Ou Sothy, director of the sanctuary, and Son Sovannsong, an officer below him, could not be reached yesterday, while Chou Sophal, from the provincial department of environment, declined to comment.

Adhoc plans to visit the wildlife sanctuary next week, Thy said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to