Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sand dredgers ‘caught in act’

Sand dredgers ‘caught in act’

Local authorities on one of the five confiscated ferries that was allegedly involved in river dredging in Kandal province
Local authorities on one of the five confiscated ferries that was allegedly involved in river dredging in Kandal province on Saturday. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Sand dredgers ‘caught in act’

Police and officials from the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology shut down a team of alleged illegal sand dredgers in Kandal province on Saturday.

Authorities confiscated five boats being used to dredge sand from the Bassac river in Sa’ang district – a practice that was temporarily banned in October.

Kheum Chankiri, the district governor, said the dredgers had finally been caught in the act after previous efforts to crack down on them had amounted to nothing.

“According to complaints we received, the group of businesses who owned the ferries and big boats were stealing sand at night and at various times throughout the day when officials were off duty,” he said. “That made it difficult, because we did not have the means to make inspections.”

It wasn’t until Minister of Water Resources and Meteorology Lim Kean Hor led a team of investigators on Saturday to where the dredgers had been operating, in Koh Anlong Chin commune and Kien Svay district’s Kbal Koh commune, that it was determined that they were working without licences and in violation of the government order of October 15.

“The illegal sand-pumping units that were defying the government’s ban were forced by the Secretariat of the Resources Management Committee to cease their activities, said Chan Yutha, a spokesman from Kean Hor’s cabinet.

Those involved in the dredging were charged and released, authorities said.

The government’s ban on dredging in the Mekong and Bassac rivers came two weeks after officials in Kandal confiscated more than 100 sand-pumping systems and 40 boats believed to be unlicensed.

Officials had feared that riverbanks were at risk of collapsing as water levels rose as a result of this year’s deadly flooding.

The October 15 directive excluded one stretch of the Mekong River, from Phnom Penh to Kandal, where the government said dredging contributed to the country’s construction industry.

Authorities have said previously that when done properly, sand dredging has little effect on the rivers, and that they are more concerned with unlicensed activity.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong