Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sat Soeun to trial, and likely to face further charges



Sat Soeun to trial, and likely to face further charges

Sat Soeun to trial, and likely to face further charges

M ILITARY strongman Col Sat Soeun will likely be tried for the murder of Kompong

Cham journalist Chan Dara within the month after his appeal for charges to be

dropped was thrown out by a Phnom Penh judge on Feb 24.

Sat Soeun, who

was arrested for Dara's killing on Dec 11 and taken to Phnom Penh because

Kompong Cham authorities were afraid of intimidation, is also likely to face two

further charges - including another murder.

The family of villager Ti Mak

have laid a complaint about Ti Mak's shooting on June 6 last year, allegedly by

Sat Soeun. The family of Veng Sreang have also complained that Sat Soeun

allegedly wounded Sreang on Oct 11 last year.

Human rights workers have

been assured by Kompong Cham authorities that investigations have been made into

the two earlier cases and that Sat Soeun will be tried.

The Post also

understands there is a disciplinary action being investigated against a Kompong

Cham judge for irregularities involving the Soeun case. Further details on this

charge were sketchy.

Sources close to the case believe that the evidence

against Soeun for the killing of Dara - a correpsondent for Koh Santepheap who

had written about illegal logging in the province - appear less than

concrete.

They say Soeun's testimony did not appear to "fit" the

circumstances of the killing but there were no witnesses to the

shooting.

Soeun admitted to traveling behind Dara home from a restaurant,

and the serial numbers on the two bullets found in Dara's body were sequential

to the numbers of bullets found in a box belonging to a military officer

belonging one of Soeun's units.

Dara's wife had also allegedly been

offered, but refused, money from Soeun's family to drop her complaint, according

to sources.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese