Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Scaffolding collapse families seek answers, compensation



Scaffolding collapse families seek answers, compensation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Three elevator repairmen were crushed to death on Saturday after a 16-storey-tall scaffolding collapsed on top of them. HEAN RANGSEY

Scaffolding collapse families seek answers, compensation

Family members of the three elevator repairmen who were crushed to death on Saturday after a 16-storey-tall scaffolding collapsed on top of them told The Post that they want to be properly compensated.

The victims: Sok Sambath, 21; Yem Tin, 35; and Thim Thyrong, 31, were working overtime at a condominium construction site on Street 65 in Phnom Penh’s Srah Chak commune in Daun Penh district when the incident occurred.

Sambath’s family scrambled to search for him after he called his wife to let her know that he would be working late before going missing, his elder sister Nheu Taing Suon told The Post.

Suon said: “When we went to the scene, some victims were identified by their legs, some were recognised by their arms. My younger brother is from Kampong Thom province and we saw his knees first and suspected it was him, as we remembered his jeans.

“We don’t know how they fell or why but at that time we saw they were crushed by the iron scaffolding, planks of wood and other construction materials.”

She said that Sambath had been missing since 8:30pm on Saturday and the corpses of the victims were not discovered until Sunday evening when workers returned to the site for the next shift.

The family members filed a report with the police immediately, Suon said, but after negotiations on compensation fell through, authorities kept the bodies until 10am on Monday.

Tin’s elder sister, Yem Yorn, told The Post: We don’t know who their boss is. They only gave us $3,000. I don’t know much, but I know people died and it was three days before we were given his body. We just had to move on [and accept the compensation offered].

“My younger brother has three children and his second child is just one-year-old. We want to get better compensation to help his children,” she said.

The family members claimed that the construction site was owned by a Cambodian man but could not say who it was.

Daun Penh governor Sok Penh Vuth, Srah Chak commune second deputy chief Chhay Thyrith, Daun Penh police chief Huot Chan Yarann and Srah Chak police chief Kan Vannak declined to comment.

Some of them said they were in the provinces while others said that they could not talk because they had not visited the scene of the incident.

Cambodian Food and Service Union president Sar Mora said the companies are only required to compensate families if the incident is found to be caused by negligence or if the construction failed to comply with safety or technical standards.

“The Labour Law does not stipulate criminal punishment but the Criminal Code may stipulate that there is negligence leading to unintentional manslaughter.

“It’s up to authorities to investigate the matter if they find that the incident was an accident, the manager of the site would not be held legally responsible,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and