Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Scott back in business, but name in dispute

Scott back in business, but name in dispute

Scott back in business, but name in dispute

GAVIN Scott, who served five months in prison after being convicted of raping teenage

boys, has restarted his Phnom Penh medical practice.

Scott has established himself in the ground floor of his old premises, underneath

the clinic of his former business partner, Australian nurse Susanne Smith.

The two are no longer in practice together but both are using the name Access Medical

Services.

The name is under dispute by the two and Smith said this week she intended to move

her practice to avoid confusion.

Scott, who opened for business this week, said it was his intention to stay in Cambodia

in the short term, but "the long term depends on other factors."

One important factor, he said, was that most of his former clients have now left

the country.

"Most of the people I knew [when he arrived] in 1992 have left, so that makes

it more difficult to start up again.

"Nevertheless, I'm still the only English doctor in Phnom Penh and the only

one with the qualifications that I have got."

Scott said his trial and imprisonment had devastated him financially and "I

need time to get back into the black."

He said he had rented the downstairs of his former clinic because that address was

listed in many Cambodian guidebooks advertising his services.

He did not want to discuss the matter of Susanne Smith and himself both using the

name Access Medical Services except to say: "We are no longer working together

and the decision about the names will be made at a later time."

Susanne Smith said: "The name is in dispute, I can't say more than that."

She intended to move her practice to other premises this week.

"I'm leaving because I just recently discovered Gavin moving in at the bottom

of my clinic. I don't know what to say, it looks silly for all sides."

Smith said both she and a new doctor she was in practice with found the situation

"uncomfortable" and "I'm leaving to avoid any confusion with my clientele."

Scott, released from T3 prison on Nov 23, had been convicted of raping five teenage

boys. He has maintained his innocence.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.