Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Second land protest in Kratie

Second land protest in Kratie

Authorities stop villagers from blocking a road to protest their dispute with the Memot Rubber Company in Kratie in 2015. Locals have renewed their protest there this week. Adhoc
Authorities stop villagers from blocking a road to protest their dispute with the Memot Rubber Company in Kratie in 2015. Locals have renewed their protest there this week. Adhoc

Second land protest in Kratie

Representatives of more than 400 families in Kratie’s Snuol district protested yesterday following the temporary detention of two fellow community members at a demonstration the day before, when locals blocked a road to demand the government find a solution to their land dispute with a rubber firm.

The dispute dates back to 2008, when the Memot Rubber Plantation Company was granted a nearly 9,900-hectare economic land concession in the area, sparking a dispute with residents who had moved into the area at roughly the same time. Since the beginning of the dispute, more families have moved into the area. Authorities had previously told villagers that they had to move off the concession by September of 2017, but when villagers protested at the time, officials promised to remedy the situation.

Villager Met Thy, 50 – who said he had moved into the area in 2015 – said authorities in September floated the idea of granting the villagers the land that they currently occupied within the concession, but that such a solution never materialised. The community began protesting on Sunday in an attempt to stop the company’s bulldozers from clearing land that affected their crops and homes, Thy said.

“I lost hope and belief in the authorities already,” he said. “We have [a] problem and turned to the authorities, but the authorities do not help, and even threatened to kill and jail us.”

Fellow villager Me Saret, who has been in the area since 2008, also said authorities threatened residents not to protest, and that Snuol District Governor Kong Kemny mediated and promised to find a solution.
Kemny yesterday confirmed that two villagers were temporarily detained on Sunday for blocking National Road 7 in Pi Thnou commune after “they insulted authorities and did not comply with authorities’ instructions” to unblock the road. The two were released in the evening after signing a document promising they wouldn’t protest anymore.

Kemny said provincial authorities have created a committee to evaluate the possibility of a social land concession for the people, but noted that only a small proportion of those residing in the area had filed the appropriate documents, despite past entreaties from officials.

“We do not want those people to become the tools of bad people, because based on a previous study, I found out that only about 100 people there are poor and really do not have land. They also filed some documents to the district administration as well,” he said. “But the majority disagreed to file the documents and incited other people to protest for land at different locations. If you want the land, you have to file the documents.”

Bi Vanny, provincial investigator for Adhoc in Kratie province, said people had the right to protest in order to demand a solution from the government, and the government has an obligation to work for the people in a fair manner, without resorting to threats.

Thai Thoeun, administrative assistant at Memot Rubber, agreed villagers had the right to protest, but echoed claims some had been told to protest in order to grab the land.

Villagers were scheduled to protest for a third time this morning.

MOST VIEWED

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures

  • More than 10,000 workers suspended

    More than 10,000 workers at 18 factories in Svay Rieng province have been suspended because of Covid-19, said provincial deputy governor Ros Pharith. Home to 11 special economic zones, Pharith said Svay Rieng has not been spared as the pandemic takes a toll on the global economy. “There

  • Oz lauds Kingdom’s passage of money laundering laws

    In a press release published by the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh on Monday, the country applauded Cambodia’s stance on transnational crimes as well as its promulgation of an anti-money laundering law and a law on combating proliferation financing. The praise came after King

  • Lotus face masks designed to cover globe

    A French designer in Cambodia has produced ecological face masks from lotus fibre to supply local and international markets with an eye on preserving ancestral techniques and supporting Cambodian women in rural communities. During a trip to Asia, Awen Delaval, an eco-friendly fashion designer, was

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Planning ministry hands out cash to 420,000 poor families in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Planning has identified 20,000 more poor families in the country, bringing the total to over 580,000, while over 420,000 of them have received the government’s cash assistance. In the meantime, many social security cards from families not deemed to be poor have been revoked.

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting