Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Security beefed up for New Year

Security beefed up for New Year

Security beefed up for New Year

M ilitary and police patrols in Phnom Penh and other main towns are being beefed

up this month, following speculation that the Khmer Rouge may launch terrorist

attacks.

Officials are concerned that the Khmer New Year, from April 13 -

15 - along with the 20th anniversary of the Khmer Rouge's rise to power on April

17, 1975 - may be considered an ideal time for rebel attacks.

The Post,

in its last issue, reported that government intelligence sources said theyhad

firm evidence that KR explosives and special units had been infiltrated into

Phnom Penh in recent weeks.

Interior Minister You Hockry this week

confirmed that security was being boosted around the country, but said he could

not provide details.

He dismissed the prospect of KR attacks in Phnom

Penh, saying the rebels were a long way from the Capital.

A Ministry of

Defense senior official said it was customary for increased security,

particularly against bombs or other sabotage, over all main Khmer

holidays.

A United States Embassy spokesman said the possibility of KR

attacks had been discussed with the authorities, but the embassy knew of no firm

evidence that any such rebel action was planned.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,