Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Security force of 5,000 officers readied for national elections



Security force of 5,000 officers readied for national elections

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian police officers stand in formation during an inspection ceremony at Olympic National stadium in Phnom Penh on Wednesday in preparation for the July 29 national elections. TANG CHHIN Sothy/afp

Security force of 5,000 officers readied for national elections

Around 5,000 municipal police officers in the capital are being prepared to provide security at this weekend’s national elections, Phnom Penh’s police chief Chuon Sovan said on Wednesday.

Coming after a warning from Ministry of Interior officials to creators of fake news seeking to sow chaos, Sovan said he inspected and met with forces at Olympic Stadium earlier in the day.

He said the troops were instructed to prevent terrorist acts and any other attempt to destroy the election in the Kingdom’s largest city.

“[The troops are] strengthening all specialised measures to prevent the activities of terrorist groups which attempt to threaten or assassinate senior leaders, key people, candidates or speakers, and aim to cause explosions in Phnom Penh so that it serves as the obstacle for the election,” he said.

Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak told The Post on Wednesday that it is typical to deploy security forces during an election as events can quickly get out of control.

“We have some information ... we know that some groups have post-election plans and we know their plans beforehand. They intend to cause chaos and we already have measures to prevent them,” he said.

Cheam Channy, a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) lawmaker, rejected any allegations that his former party planned to sow chaos.

“We have never contacted each other. We just look at Facebook and sometimes, we do not dare to share ... CNRP group will not make such a plan. We do not know where they get the information from,” Channy said.

Sovan said officers will be deployed to protect the 2,138 polling stations in Phnom Penh.

However, Sam Kuntheamy, executive director of local election watchdog Nicfec, said the July 29 national election will proceed smoothly and without any violence as the CNRP has already been dissolved.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could