Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Senator Sok Hour’s incitement trial ends

Senator Sok Hour’s incitement trial ends

People protest outside municipal court yesterday during Senator Hong Sok Hour’s trial.
People protest outside municipal court yesterday during Senator Hong Sok Hour’s trial. Hong Menea

Senator Sok Hour’s incitement trial ends

Lawyers for jailed opposition Senator Hong Sok Hour told the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on the final day of his trial yesterday that prosecutors had failed to provide enough evidence to support claims he forged a public document and incited social chaos.

Sok Hour was arrested on the orders of Prime Minister Hun Sen in August 2015 and charged with forgery and inciting social chaos after a video of him presenting an allegedly falsified diplomatic treaty with Vietnam during a lecture was posted on Facebook.

The document, a modified version of a real treaty, said that the government had agreed to dissolve Cambodia’s international border with Vietnam in the early 1980s – but Sok Hour has denied forging the document himself, saying he found it on Google.

Repeated postponements and appeals on procedural matters have delayed the trial’s conclusion, and at yesterday’s final hearing, the prosecution called to the stand Bun Soksekha, a deputy office head inside the Interior Ministry’s counterterrorism department.

Soksekha said he had sought an arrest warrant for Sokha after realising the treaty was false and inflammatory.

“We saw that Hong Sok Hour posted the video lasting over 11 minutes on [opposition leader] Sam Rainsy’s Facebook page at about 12am, and at 1am, I checked the content of the treaty and what he said in the video, and saw that it was fake,” he said.

Asked how he believed the video constituted incitement to cause social chaos, the officer said the political tensions at the time between the CPP and CNRP on the issue of the border meant it was inflammatory.

“At the time, the government was solving border issues with Vietnam, and some youth were going to check the border. So, this post seemed to create chaos,” Seksokha said. “I believe that it created chaos.”

During cross-examination, Sok Hour’s defence team said there was no evidence the video’s posting had, in fact, incited any type of chaos.

“After posting the video clip, were there tensions or chaos? I did not see any chaos,” one of the lawyers, Meng Sopheary, said.

While Soksekha admitted there had been no ensuing chaos, it was only “because police took quick actions”, he said. “Otherwise, chaos really would have happened.”

Sok Hour told the court that he had made a mistake by presenting the modified treaty in his lecture but had neither forged anything nor tried to cause chaos in society by making that mistake.

“When I saw that document on the internet, I myself did not believe that it was a real treaty. But I forced myself to believe it for that moment,” Sok Hour said, also denying he meant to cause chaos.

“My intention in posting that video was to seek an explanation on border problems . . . [and] to avoid chaos in the society, to avoid conflict among us.”

The explanation found no purchase with prosecutor Sieng Sok, who closed his case by asking the court to find Sok Hour guilty of both accusations against him, which could see the senator jailed for up to 17 years.

“While the government was solving border conflicts with Vietnam and calling on the public to be calm, Hong Sok Hour posted the video,” Sok told the judges. “This was a trigger to violence, causing the public to have anger about border conflicts. If he was not stopped, there would have been chaos.”

A verdict is due on November 7.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The