Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Senior official grilled over Mondulkiri land concession



Senior official grilled over Mondulkiri land concession

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries secretary of state Chan Savuth. Photo supplied

Senior official grilled over Mondulkiri land concession

Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries secretary of state Chan Savuth appeared for questioning on Thursday at the Mondulkiri provincial court over a 9,741ha economic land concession that had been granted to a private company.

Provincial court prosecutor Hieng Sopheak told The Post he had questioned Savuth but did not detain him as he was not involved in the case.

He pointed out that Savuth took office last year, and thus was unaware of the land concession that had been granted to Pacific Grand Joint-Stock Company Limited between 2011 and 2013.

“The court will summon other people. Now I’m preparing a letter to the ministry, asking it to send an official who knows about the concession to court for questioning,” he said.

Savuth could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Chan Heng, the ministry’s deputy cabinet director, said he was not fully aware of the case.

“I just know that he had already appeared in court for questioning and returned to work today, but I don’t have any other details,” he said.

Savuth was summoned weeks after Lor Raksmey, the ministry’s under-secretary of state, appeared for questioning on August 21 over the same land concession.

Eang Mengly, the provincial coordinator for right groups Adhoc, called on the court to take action against both government officials and companies involved in irregularities over economic land concessions.

“The laws should be enforced without discrimination or favour for high-ranking officials or powerful people. We hope the court will act independently when having enough evidence,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a