Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sentence for Angkor ‘incitement’ upheld

Sentence for Angkor ‘incitement’ upheld

Sentence for Angkor ‘incitement’ upheld

A controversial jail sentence handed to the head of a cultural organisation for suggesting a lighting project at Angkor Wat was damaging the temple was upheld by the Supreme Court yesterday.

Moeung Sonn, director of the Khmer Civilization Fund, was sentenced to two years in jail and fined 15 million riel (US$3,615) after raising concerns that workers installing lights at the 12th-century temple had drilled holes deep into the structure’s walls.

The lawsuit, brought against him by the government, was upheld on appeal yesterday, even though the obsolete 1992 UNTAC penal code charge of disinformation was amended to incitement last May.

Moeung Sonn, who has lived in self-imposed exile for the past three years, called the Cambodian legal system “hopeless” and said he would move to France to escape punishment.

“It is unfair for me, and Cambodian people are afraid when the legal system listens only to the lawyers of the powerful people,” he said.

Government lawyer Pal Chandara told journalists outside the courtroom yesterday  the verdict was “justice for the government”.

“The verdict offers justice for the government, which pays much attention to public security,” Pal Chandara said.

He has previously argued that Moeung Sonn threatened this security by falsely suggesting the APSARA Authority, which manages the World Heritage Site, had installed 2,000-watt bulbs when it had used only four-watt bulbs.

Moeung Sonn’s lawyer, Sok Sam Ouen, has argued that his client merely raised concerns that the project – contracted out to Chinese firm Suchin – could affect the beauty, safety and body of the temple.

A petition thumb-printed by representatives of 347 communities, including those from the Borei Keila and Boeung Kak eviction sites, was handed to the Supreme Court yesterday, calling for justice by finding Moeung Sonn not guilty.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tep Nimol at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Ethnic group ‘disappointed’ to be denied French visas to attend court

    Eleven people at the centre of a case involving seven indigenous Bunong villages in Mondulkiri province pursuing legal action in France have expressed disappointment after the French embassy in Phnom Penh denied their visa applications to attend court. A press release said the 11 included a

  • EBA withdrawal provides ‘opportunity for growth’

    Economic analyst Khoun Bunny said on Tuesday that the loss of the EU’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement could be a golden opportunity for Cambodia to show it deserved to be ranked sixth on the list of the world’s fastest-growing economies. Government

  • Malaysia MP accused of ‘influencing law’

    Malaysian Member of Parliament (MP) Larry Sng arrived in Siem Reap early on Wednesday, in what was slammed by one NGO as efforts by Kuala Lumpur to “influence Cambodian law”. The Malaysian Embassy in Phnom Penh requested on January 30 “cooperation from the Ministry of Foreign

  • Ministries begin measures to offset EU’s EBA decision

    In the wake of the EU’s controversial announcement this week that it has begun the withdrawal process for Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential agreement, government ministries and political analysts continued to share their reactions and economic mitigation plans in preparation for the