Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sentence upheld in sex abuse hearing



Sentence upheld in sex abuse hearing

Sentence upheld in sex abuse hearing

THE COURT of Appeal on Friday upheld the conviction of an Italian man who was found guilty last year of sexually abusing minors, an NGO spokesperson said Sunday.

Fabio Cencini, 43, who was not present for Friday's hearing, was arrested in February 2008 on suspicion of abusing four girls and two boys aged between 8 and 14 years old.

Preah Sihanouk provincial court sentenced him to two years in prison in August and ordered him to pay 2 million riels (US$481) to each victim, but he was released on bail after serving three months in prison, and officials say his whereabouts are now unknown.

"I feel satisfied with the [decision] to uphold the conviction ... but I feel disappointed with the decision to release him on bail after three months' imprisonment," Samleang Seila, country director of the child rights NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) told the Post Sunday.

Peng Maneth, a lawyer provided by APLE, said it was unclear whether Cencini was in possession of his passport at the time of his release.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from