Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sex charges dropped



Sex charges dropped

Convicted pedophile Sebastian Reuiji (left) in Siem Reap province late last year
Convicted pedophile Sebastian Reuiji (left) in Siem Reap province late last year. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Sex charges dropped

A convicted pedophile charged by Siem Reap Provincial Court in December with sexually abusing two minors, aged six and nine, was released from prison last week, a senior provincial anti-human trafficking officer said yesterday.

Lieutenant Colonel Chea Heng, deputy chief of Siem Reap’s provincial anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection unit, said that 40-year-old Dutch national Sebastian Reuiji, who was charged with “indecent acts against a minor under 15 years” on December 19, was released on Thursday.

“He was released because the investigating judge has dropped the charges against him because of a lack of evidence,” he told the Post yesterday.

However, the victims’ defence lawyer, Chea Nara, claimed there was enough evidence to convict Reuiji.

“I think that the investigating judge’s decision was not right, because there was enough evidence … but the investigating judge did not properly consider it,” he said.

Investigating judge Duch Sok Sarin could not be reached for comment yesterday.

In October 2011, Reuiji was convicted by Siem Reap Provincial Court with committing indecent acts against five children aged between seven and 13 and sentenced to three months in prison.

Yi Moden, deputy director of field operations at Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) Cambodia, said that APLE does not accept the ruling.

“How can it be this man can continue walking freely in Cambodia? He is a convicted child sex offender and [has had] allegations of child sexual abuses surrounding him for many years,” he said. “I am very worried about the safety of the victims now that the suspect has been released. I fear that another child might become his victim.”

Reuiji and his lawyer could not be reached yesterday.

Separately, the Supreme Court on Friday upheld the seven-year imprisonment of US national Jason Todd Baumbach, who was convicted of purchasing sex from a 13-year-old girl in Phnom Penh in 2008.

Khem Pon, vice president and presiding judge of the Supreme Court, read the verdict yesterday and said the court ordered his deportation once his sentence was completed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants