Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - SH factory strikes show no sign of tapering off

SH factory strikes show no sign of tapering off

SH factory strikes show no sign of tapering off

120425_05a
Workers protest for a $10 raise outside SH factory in Phnom Penh.

SH factory bosses in the capital’s Por Sen Chey district stood firm for a fifth day yesterday as they again refused to negotiate with more than 700 workers demanding better working conditions.

As workers maintained their low-key strike – one notable for its lack of banners, road blocks and flaming tyres – SH administration chief Un Sophoeun said the factory’s boss had again refused to consider their nine demands.

These include the sacking of two administration officials and two sewing line leaders.

The workers also want a $10 transportation allowance, a $10 bonus toward their rent, a $10 incentive bonus and for their basic salary to be increased to $70.

Un Sophoeun said the strike – set to continue today – had cost the company a lot of money, though he refused to reveal how much.

“The company has no intention of meeting with the union to settle this dispute,” he said.

“The Labour Ministry has already submitted this case to the Arbitration Council and is awaiting its decision.”

Lay Sokha, a workers’ representative and vice-president of the Free Trade Union at SH, said the workers tempers were flaring because they felt they were getting nowhere.

“The workers became angry yesterday when the company again did not negotiate with them,” she said. “They will keep protesting until the case is settled.”

Chea Mony, national president of FTU, said it would be discrimination if the factory, in Choam Chao commune, did not meet with workers to negotiate.

The employees’ request for a $10 transportation allowance, a $10 rental bonus and a food allowance for overtime work was “better than the law”, he said, adding that the company should compromise so the workers could return to work.

Va Yuvathana, director of the labour dispute office at the Ministry of Labour, said what the workers had demanded was “contrary to the law”.

The ministry had no power to resolve the dispute and had submitted the case to the Arbitration Council on Monday, he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tep Nimol at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on