Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap landmine museum receives additional 385 UXO




Siem Reap landmine museum receives additional 385 UXO

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A team of CMAA experts examine the latest batch of UXO before they are deemed safe to go on display at the Cambodia Landmine Museum in Siem Reap. CAMBODIA LANDMINE MUSEUM

Siem Reap landmine museum receives additional 385 UXO

The authorities have allowed 385 units of unexploded ordnance (UXO) to be displayed at Siem Reap’s Cambodia Landmine Museum, Chhun Bora, the training manager at Cambodia Self Help Demining said on Wednesday.

The announcement was made after a team of Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) experts examined the latest batch of UXO on Tuesday.

Bora said his team had carried out a series of demining and collecting activities prior to the examination by the authorities and experts.

This was to ensure the UXO were deemed safe to go on display at the museum, which is situated in Banteay Srei district’s Khnar Sanday commune.

“We did not gather the bombs in a single day but during a span of months and years. After collecting a large number of UXO we asked for authorisation to neutralise the explosive powder within them,” he said.

At the moment, he said, the now-defunct bombs are being cleaned before being safely displayed at the museum.

Bora said so far this year, his team has detected and cleared nearly 400 UXO of various kinds, with some grenades remaining intact and placed at safe locations.

CMAA secretary-general Ly Thuch said on Wednesday that any individuals or organisations that intend to display or keep UXO ought to ask for permission from relevant parties for safety reasons.

Authorisation is required because some laymen have kept UXO and played with them without technical inspections, thus causing fatalities when it exploded.

“We need to inspect each of [the UXO] thoroughly and ensure they are absolutely neutralised before being used for other purposes."

“However, we don’t encourage laymen to possess inactive explosives of any kind,” Thuch said.

The founder of Cambodia Landmine Museum, Aki Ra, could not be reached for comment.

However, museum staff member Sophin Sophary said her team was preparing to add the now-defunct explosives to the museum’s collection before displaying them to the visitors, including students keen to learn more about the Kingdom’s history.

“I am not aware of when we would display the objects, but currently we are preparing the space for them,” she said.

A CMAA report seen by The Post on Wednesday said the latest batch of UXO, which has been inspected and registered to be displayed at the museum, is comprised of 23 different types, including 128 landmines, eight cannons and 249 mixed ones.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped