Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap officials diverted ADB funding: ACU

Siem Reap officials diverted ADB funding: ACU

A pedestrian walks past the ACU headquarters in Phnom Penh last year.
A pedestrian walks past the ACU headquarters in Phnom Penh last year. Pha Lina

Siem Reap officials diverted ADB funding: ACU

A statement released on Friday by the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) has implicated three officials from the Siem Reap department of rural development in the misappropriation of funds from two projects financed by the Asian Development Bank (ADB).

According to the statement, office chief Ou Sovan Dara, his deputy Thon Solida and a third lower-ranking official, Sok Sarun, are accused of making false declarations about the allocation of resources worth “millions” of riel for the ADB project “Emergency Food Assistance Phases I and II” and a project simply referred to as “HAP” between 2008 and 2012.

It’s claimed bulldozers and other machinery were used in the construction of a road instead of human labour, which is what was declared officially.

In response to an anonymous complaint, the ACU questioned Siv Ratha, head of the provincial department of rural development, who according to the statement gave a description of the project. Ratha could not be reached yesterday.

Spokesmen for the Ministry of Rural Development could not be reached yesterday and the ADB did not respond to inquiries as of press time.

Public ADB project documents for a project and additional financing active between 2008 and 2012 titled “Emergency Food Assistance Project” indicate grants and loans totalling nearly $60 million. A 2012 audit report for that project shows no impropriety.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided