Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap reminded of tourist moto, car rental ban

Siem Reap reminded of tourist moto, car rental ban

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Traffic passes on a street in Siem Reap town. Provincial authorities recently ordered a long-standing ban on renting motos to foreigners in Siem Reap enforced. Photo supplied

Siem Reap reminded of tourist moto, car rental ban

Siem Reap Governor Kim Bunsong reminded business owners late last week to obey a long-standing, and often flouted, ban on motorcycle and scooter rentals to tourists.

In the letter, dated Thursday, Bunsong urges business owners to follow the directive in order to maintain public order and reduce traffic accidents, or risk facing closure.

“It is completely forbidden to rent or lend transportation methods like motorbikes and cars to foreigners . . . except bicycles or electric bicycles,” it reads, before warning violators they could face “legal action”.

The ban has been in place in Siem Reap town since 2002 but has been openly defied by businesses.

Heng Bunly, owner of a motorbike rental shop, said he just started his business a few months ago, and said he hadn’t heard about the recent announcement or the standing ban. “This will affect my business,” he said. “Before, I put electric bicycles [for rent], but not many people would rent them, so I changed them for motorbikes.”

He added that if authorities want to enforce the ban then it shouldn’t only affect Siem Reap business owners. “The rate of traffic accidents is very small,” he said. “This is just a pretext. If they ban, the ban should be for the whole country.”

Teng Chan Nath, deputy provincial police chief, said there were eight or nine traffic accidents in the first nine months of this year involving foreigners, none of which were fatal.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges