Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap reservoirs condemned

Siem Reap reservoirs condemned

Siem Reap reservoirs condemned

ENVIRONMENTAL damage caused by manmade reservoirs around the Tonle Sap lake could be almost as extensive in Siem Reap province as in Kampong Thom, say officials who pledged yesterday to continue an ongoing campaign to destroy them.

Chan Youttha, secretary general of the Tonle Sap Authority, said officials had dismantled 20 illegally built reservoirs in Siem Reap, Battambang, Pursat and Kampong Thom provinces between June 25 and yesterday.

He said an aerial inspection completed this week with Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology Lim Kean Hor had allowed a closer look at damage caused by the reservoirs.

“Thousands of hectares of flooded forests were devastated in Siem Reap,” he said.

Chan Youttha estimated that 27 unauthorised reservoirs in Siem Reap would be destroyed as part of the campaign.

Nao Thuok, director of the Fisheries Administration, said he believed damage to flooded forest areas had been more acute in Siem Reap than in any of the other provinces that surround the Tonle Sap except for Kampong Thom.

But he added that he could provide no estimates of the number of hectares of flooded forest that had been affected by the reservoirs.

Though they are important to farmers who depend on them for irrigation during the dry season, the reservoirs could potentially devastate natural ecosystems and traditional spawning areas for fish within two to three years if they are left unchecked, Chan Youttha said.

“If we do not begin to demolish the illegal reservoirs from now on, we will lose the flooded forests,” he said.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered officials in six provinces to destroy or modify all illegal reservoirs lying within two designated zones around the Tonle Sap.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not