Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Preah Sihanouk provincial authority has ordered the dismantling of two unauthorised construction sites. facebook

Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply.

Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on Sunday that the construction sites encroached on pavements in downtown Sihanoukville.

He said the authorities had instructed the foreign owners of the constructions on four separate occasions but to no avail.

“The provincial administration ordered the dismantling because the construction owners encroached on the pavement by 3.7m, which also affects public lampposts."

“The owners shall dismantle the sites on their own. If they do not follow the instruction, legal action will be taken and the authority will dismantle the sites and not be responsible for any damages,” he said.

Niyom said authorities had previously prohibited and ordered the dismantling of many unauthorised construction sites, but the owners would secretly rebuild them.

He said the authorities would continue to enforce the laws and would not tolerate any illegal constructions that affect public interests. “I urge all construction owners to obey the law,” he said.

Provincial hall spokesman Kheang Phearum declined to provide construction data in the province on Sunday, citing public holidays. He only said that authorities had previously handled cases of unauthorised constructions by force when the owners failed to comply.

“Some structures were built without proper technical and legal standards. Some constructions are located on public land and encroached on beaches. If we don’t take action, it would become anarchic,” he said.

Cheap Sotheary, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said while she supported the authorities’ continuous clampdown on unauthorised constructions, she urged them to take tougher measures to prevent repeat offences.

“Most big structures are owned by foreign firms. Constructions that are found to be most problematic are the ones managed by Chinese subcontractors."

“We’ve seen provincial administration officials going to inspect the construction sites every day, which is good, but we urge them not to fall into corrupt practices while inspecting the sites and instead enforce the laws,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville to begin road project

    The government will spend $200 million to improve Sihanoukville’s infrastructure. The eight-month project will involve the rebuilding of 34 streets with a total of more than 84km. Pal Chandara, the secretary of state and spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, told The Post

  • Artefact is seized from American auctioneers

    Cambodian and US archaeologists on Thursday discussed the formalities and procedures of returning to Cambodia an artefact which was recently seized by US Homeland Security Investigators (HSI) from an auction house in San Francisco. On Monday, the HSI said US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),

  • Bodhisattva statue unearthed

    The Apsara National Authority technical team uncovered a sandstone statue of a Bodhisattva while carrying out excavation work at the east entrance of the Ta Nei temple on October 8. The team was trying to find the temple’s roof stone, which had fallen into a

  • World Bank: Challenges facing the Kingdom

    Cambodia’s economy currently faces challenges including credit growth in the construction and real estate sectors, rising indebtedness and the possible withdrawal of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement, said the World Bank Group’s latest forecast report on the Asia-Pacific economies. The