Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sihanoukville bakery brawl leaves one dead, three injured



Sihanoukville bakery brawl leaves one dead, three injured

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A bakery worker is transported to hospital in Sihanoukville after a knife fight. Photo supplied

Sihanoukville bakery brawl leaves one dead, three injured

A violent conflict among four Chinese nationals at a bakery in Sihanoukville left one dead and three seriously injured with knife wounds on Wednesday.

The incident occurred in the city’s Village 1, Commune II, and was first reported by passersby who noticed loud noises coming from the shop.

Preah Sihanouk provincial deputy police chief in charge of serious crimes Kol Phally said the deceased was the 32-year-old bakery owner.

His 30-year-old girlfriend was seriously injured in the knife brawl and was sent to a hospital in Phnom Penh for treatment.

The remaining two victims were pastry workers at the bakery – a 20-year-old man who was injured and stayed at the scene, and a 33-year-old man who was seriously injured. One of the workers was transported to a Phnom Penh hospital for treatment.

According to a provincial police officer who declined to give his name, witnesses claim they heard loud talking coming from the bakery at the time of the incident.

When they investigated, the officer said, they saw four people fighting in the shop. Some were holding knives two or three fingers long, and they lunged at each other.

The officer said witnesses soon realised that one of the men was lying on the floor, bleeding from stab wounds, and was likely seriously injured.

He said provincial police officers eventually arrived at the scene after receiving reports from witnesses.

After the incident, the officer said, police examined the deceased and found two stab wounds in the stomach. The other three injured victims had been stabbed in the body and the stomach, he said.

Provincial police chief Chuon Narin confirmed on Thursday that one man was found dead and three others seriously injured.

“This was caused by two Chinese men in the same group. The other man and woman are being treated in Phnom Penh,” he said.

Narin said there are no other suspects, and once the three injured victims recover, further action would be taken.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a